Monday, August 15, 2011

7th Anniversary Art

David started a little tradition a few years ago. He purchased some artwork for our home in celebration of our anniversary. We had a low key anniversary this year in regards to gifts etc, but I decided that I could carry on the tradition of anniversary art in my gift to David. Now, it's been said that most gifts that are sentimental in nature end of being feminine. I have made it a personal goal to give masculine gifts that can still show sentiment. David's family necklace was one such attempt. Anyway, with a little computer design, some blank canvases, some Mod Podge and a little black paint here's what I came up with:

This first one was inspired by this on Pinterest. I liked the design when I first saw it and decided to do my own version. I had them printed on 11x14 photo paper from Wal Mart and I mod podged them onto canvas. This tutorial was my inspiration for this technique.


This one just kinda came to me. The picture of the birch trees was in my Print Shop program. I googled carved hearts images and found the heart image and then went searching for a font that looked like carved letters. Layer all together and there you have it. Sentimental yet not feminine. (At least I hope that's how it comes across).

(disclaimer: no actual trees were harmed in the making of this picture)

David's gift to me was sentimental and beautiful. In our first year together, he wrote me a fairytale about a flower and knight. The story was an allegory of our lives. This year he wrote me a new instalment of the story. It's beautifully written and I feel quite special having my own story.

Hooray for thoughtful, sentimental, creative gift giving!

No comments: