Saturday, October 24, 2009

Original Creativity

This post has been rolling around in my mind for the past week and a half. It was during my daily bible study and prayer time that it first began and then it was confirmed in a podcast sermon that I listened to online. Let me back up a bit...

 A couple of weeks ago, I learned a new craft. It's one that I had tried in the past and never could quite figure it out. I am always in awe of my friend, Patty~Jean for her work in this art form and recently my aunt, Evelyn began her journey in this craft and I found myself wanting to try again. Several Youtube videos later and much unravelling, I learned how to crochet! I used to say that the yarn arts were not my gift, something I had tried and failed at. I was so excited to actually be doing it. I couldn't wait to come here and say "Look what I did!" and I couldn't wait to hear my friend say "I'm proud of you." You might have noticed that this is the first time I've mentioned crocheting here and obviously didn't scream and shout right away. Well, conviction started entering my heart. How proud I had become of "my" ability. I began to think over previous posts where I was like "Look at me. Look what I did!"
"Oh, foolish Coralee! Who gave you the ability? Who was the original creator? Who inspires you to create?"

"Oh, Lord! YOU are gave me the ability! YOU were the original creator! YOU inspire me to create!"

(some of God's original creativity)

How can I brag about what isn't me unless I give all glory and honour back to the One who made me? I want to thank you all for your kind comments over the duration of this blog. I humbly accept them and say this,
"It is God, in me, who is the ultimate creative being. I am His tool and it is for His glory that I create."

(perhaps my favourite original creation)

The other area of conviction that I wish to confess is how selfish I've been with my gifts. Growing up my mom, sister and I would make handmade gifts and forget to make one to keep. Over the years the tendency was to keep all of my crafts - giving away less and less. Then I decided that 2010 would be a good year to possibly open my own online store. I could then sell my crafts and benefit financially, too. I'm not saying that this is a bad thing, but I do feel that I need to make time and goods for the benefit of others. Not just people who have lots of stuff and want more, but people who could really benefit. So, I'm looking for a charity or ministry to join where I can use my God given talents and abilities to serve. I don't know exactly how I'm going to balance it all, but I know God financial math is better than mine and I'm sure his time math is better, too.

And in case you'd like to see some of the Lord's creativity in me, here's a peak at what I'm working on from my crochet basket.


(details soon)



P.S. This is my 99th post, stay tuned for my 100th post and a little giveaway celebration!

4 comments:

LLG said...

Hey congrats on learning how to crochet! I am going to learn how to knit if it kills me! All my friends here knit and I really want to learn, so heres hoping!! I will blog about my progress once I start! Good Luck

Evelyn in Canada said...

Look at you! That's awesome. I'm now working on my second (identical) hat.

And I don't think you should consider blogging about your creations to be "bragging". It's sharing and inspiring others to use or find their own gifts. God-given gifts. I know that I find you inspirational.

About keeping your own creations: I do think that there are times in our lives when we receive more than we give. We might need school supplies, food, childcare, transportation, emotional support, etc. while our kids are very young. We also can barely keep up with the needs of our own household (I'm still gathering usable furniture and canning jars, for instance) and we may not really be in a position to "give" so much. Gracefully accept help when we need it, and gracefully give help, stuff, and the produce of our creativity when our lives permit that. You personally create a lot of beautiful and practical things that your own household probably needs right now. Eventually you'll get to a point where you can share more. You don't strike me as a non-generous person, so don't stress about it! You'll find your charity or it will find you.

Coralee said...

Laralee, try youtube - that's what finally made crocheting make sense to me - try several different one's until it hits home. Thanks for the congrats!

Evelyn, thank you for your kind and generous words - you are sweet!

Patty-Jean from LittleQuiver said...

Beautiful post Coralee! I've been away this week and a little behind...Some wonderful thoughts and reminders! I love that the first role God plays (and is) is an Artist, and He made you in His image! THat is soooo deep and wonderful for me to think about! Thank-you for your wisdom and insight!