Monday, July 2, 2012

My New Mei Tai



Here's what I did with the fabric I got with my gift certificate from Pink Chalk Fabrics. I had just enough to purchase one yard of each colour and cover shipping. David came up with the idea for the design. I was showing him fabrics that I liked and asked him if I had to make it boy friendly to carry a boy. He suggested the black with the green stripes (so it wouldn't matter if I carried a boy or a girl) and I love it. Then when I got my two yards of fabric, I quickly realized that it was going to take some very careful calculations to make the mei tai. David to the rescue again. Remember how much money he saved me on my diapers, just by making great calculations? He did it again. I knew that I wanted the straps to be mostly green and I really wanted the stripes and we made it work. Straps, by the way, take a long time. They are meticulously sewn and pressed and these are probably my favourite straps that I've sewn yet. What a difference slow and careful sewing makes. I admit that I often get impatient on long stretches of straight sewing, but I'm so glad I took care with these ones.



In the details: the body of the carrier and the top of the shoulder straps are double lined with fusible fleece. I don't have any quilt batting, and the fleece stays still for me while I put it all together. I appliqued the stripes on the front. The shoulder straps are green on top and black underneath, while the waist straps are all green. That's all thanks to David's creative math. Perhaps my favourite feature is the fact that I used green top thread and black bobbin thread when sewing the green and black straps so the stitching isn't the first thing you see, but rather a neat and professional finish. They are double top stitched and the padded section has six rows of topstitching. A lot of thread and a lot of time.



I was asked if I had considered selling these. I don't think I'd mass produce them, but perhaps some custom orders. Unfortunately, they are not cost productive due to the amount of time it takes to sew them. It wouldn't be any cheaper than store bought mei tai carriers, but it would be amazing in your personal choice of fabric. I love being able to sew my own things like this and make them the way I want.


Like the last carrier, this one is a combination of an old pattern/tutorial that I downloaded off a blog that no longer exists and the instructions from Jan Andrea on the web. I am much happier with the way this one is assembled compared to the first two I made years ago. Micah has already been in here and slept quite nicely.


Oh and in case you want to know, the fabric is: Lizzy House Hello Pilgrim Jewel Green and Robert Kaufman Kona Cotton Black


1 comment:

Patty-Jean from LittleQuiver said...

Your creations just get more beautiful Coralee! Did you know that?
Love how it baby looks gift wrapped!