Monday, June 23, 2014

Checking In

4 days until summer break! We are sooooo ready to have David home and for a new season to begin. Let's catch up and talk about what we're looking forward to.

  • Micah celebrated his 2nd birthday. We had a couple of friends over for a very simple backyard barbecue and pool party. I didn't do much for planning as I have a big party to plan for this summer and I think one big planned event is enough. For not having much of a plan, it turned out rather well. I think everyone had a good time.

  • I made a mini cake. It was cute and perfect for the birthday boy.

  • I painted Micah a t~shirt. His favourite song is "What does the fox say?". I thought the shirt was cute and he always tells what the fox says when you put it on him.
(I'm not sure why this picture is sideways~sorry)

  • We bought a small backyard pool for the summer. It's filtered which is nice and deep and large enough for us to climb in with the littles. I think it will be a great thing to have for our summer off at home.

  • I made David a shirt for Father's Day. I really enjoy freezer paper stencilling. The final product is so satisfying.


  • We have decided against going to Alberta this summer. It wasn't an easy decision, but now that it's made, I'm relieved. I can now go ahead and plan our staycation
  • We made a summer list~ish. David felt pressure to cross off each item on prior lists and it was never meant to be a "have to do" list, but a "could do" list. I wrote out a bunch of ideas in a pocket notebook for reference if we need ideas on any given day. 
  • We have a weekly spot at the Prayer Furnace. The first few weeks were a gong show with the children, but I've come to really enjoy and treasure our times of family prayer. There is something so sweet about hearing your children pray. They have no pre~conceived ideas about how to pray, they just say what they mean and mean what they say. We love to teach them about prayer, but they teach us just as much.

  • We visited a farm this weekend. The littles got to run free, explore, feed chickens and soak in the outdoors. I often think I've been in the city too long to really enjoy the country, but then I get out of the city and think "my heart remembers this". David came home happier and more relaxed then I've seen him in some time. We need to get out of the city more often.

  • I have Loved the last few Saturday mornings. They are slow and close and sweet. I will miss these times with my littles when life gets busier and as they grow.

  • I apologize for the duplicate pictures if you've already seen them on instagram. I love my phone and the convenience of taking pictures on the go often leaves our actual camera on the shelf. I do have plans for it this summer though.

  • What I'm looking forward to this summer: David being home, our 10th anniversary!!!, backyard play, projects worked on and finished, family coming for a visit (hopefully), celebrating our one year Vanniversary, lots of creative time, party planning and secrets (this blog will be hopping after the party) and whatever adventures we have in store.
  • I hope you and yours have a wonderful, adventure filled summer!

1 comment:

RachelD said...

What a sweet telling of such an extraordinary, ordinary life!

I smiled all the way through, and so enjoyed your sweet pictures.

And your photography is lovely---the wood grain beneath the leaf looks like silvered crewel-work in the picture.

rachel